This object is eligible for a Certificate of BADA Provenance
An extremely interesting coromandel wood ribbon or tape dispenser, made by Lady Gertrude Molyneux, and exhibited at Leighton House, Holland Park Road, Kensington, London. The top has a screw fitting circular lid carved as a Catherine wheel, which when removed the underside has a bone peg that fits into the hollow aperture of a spool for the tape or ribbon. The end of the tape or ribbon protrudes through a slot in the side of the base for ease of use. The solid base has finely reeded decoration on all three sides and a small protruding foot rim. The whole is of excellent quality, with a good patination. There is a history and details supplied of this rare item by Lady Gertrude Molyneux , including an exhibition invitation card.
English Circa 1900