About the dealer
About the object
The Pail stands on an unusual fluted circular pedestal foot. The main body displays a beaded rim and is pierced with different Neo-Gothic designs. The piercing is also decorated with Neo-Classical blue bell swags and unusual oval paterae decorated with flower heads.
The arched handle is also decorated with blue bell designs and displays a vacant cartouche. This piece is very well marked on the foot, in in excellent condition, and displays a blue glass liner. The Sheffield Assay Office was established in 1773, therefore this represents a very rare early example.
This is certainly the first time we have offered such an early Sheffield example. The design, also has a certain Provincial feel to it and Sheffield were famous for producing some of the most beautiful Neo-Classical designs, when the assay office was first opened.
This can be seen with a covered butter dish recently sold and now in our archive.