A rare and unusual English tortoiseshell portico clock which has an eight-day duration, chain-fusee timepiece movement, with anchor escapement, and is signed on the backplate in engraved scroll Viner & Co, London, with the serial number 956 stamped on the frontplate, and has a gilded sunburst bob to the pendulum.
The gilded dial has engine-turned engraved decoration to the centre, painted black Roman hour numerals and is signed on the chapter ring at XII o'clock Viner & Co, London. It has a well-executed decorative gilded inner bezel and blued steel moon hands.
The red tortoiseshell case has inlaid brass decoration to the front & sides with ormolu mounts and feet, the floor of the base is inlaid with triangular patterns of mother-of pearl and tortoiseshell and the four tapered pillars are topped by ormolu Corinthian capitals.
Charles Edward Viner was born in 1788, apprenticed to Thomas Savage in 1802, free of the Clockmakers' Company in 1813, and was a Liveryman from 1819. He was at 1 Royal Exchange, London from 1776 until 1820 and also had a retail outlet at 151 New Bond St. at this time, the firm then traded at 19 Sackville St. from 1840 - 1859. He died in 1875.