This object is eligible for a Certificate of BADA Provenance
About the dealer
About the object
A whitewood spool box with an applied print entitled 'Brighton Pier' to the pin hinged lid.
Small details in prints of Brighton Chain Pier can be an aid to fairly precise dating. The original entrance to the Esplanade was through a pair of iron gates hung between three stone pillars with gas lamps on the two outer pillars. In 1831 an archway was added to the gate nearer the toll-house and the two lamps were replaced by one on the central pillar.