This object is eligible for a Certificate of BADA Provenance
About the object
A mahogany London longcase clock with an eight-day duration, five-pillar movement striking the hours on a bell.
The arched brass dial has a matted dial centre with date aperture and a recessed seconds dial which has red floral engraving to its centre. The silvered chapter ring is engraved with black Roman hour numerals, Arabic five-minute outer numerals and has decorative blued steel hands and cast-brass 'C' scroll corner spandrels. A silvered cartouche to the dial centre is engraved with the maker’s name Thos. Battely, London. Within the arch is a further subsidiary dial with a silvered chapter ring and blued steel hand for ‘strike/silent’, and which has ‘dolphin’ spandrels either side.
The mahogany pagoda-topped case has a double plinth to the panelled base and glazed side windows to the hood which has brass-stop fluted hood pillars and fretwork within the centre.
Thomas Battely (sometimes spelt Batley) was apprenticed to Peter Mallet, a watchmaker of Red Lyon Street, London, on the 12th of September 1745 for a period of seven years with a premium paid of £26-5-0. He was known to have still been working in 1777 when he reported a watch made by him to be lost.