This object is eligible for a Certificate of BADA Provenance
About the dealer
About the object
A small Victorian oak and ebony partner’s desk, attributed to Holland and Son, the shaped rectangular leather-inset top set above a knee-hole with a central drawer flanked, on one side, by four cedar lined drawers in each pedestal and on the other by two cupboard doors, all with brass drop handles, decorated throughout with ebony edging and stringing. English, circa 1880. Footnote: Holland and Sons of London were first recorded in 1815 as Taprell and Holland. Under the management of William Holland, a relative of the famous Regency architect Henry Holland, they became cabinetmakers and upholsterers to Queen Victoria; their first commission being Osborne House in 1845. Granted the Royal Warrant in 1846, the company went on to supply Windsor Castle, Balmoral and also the new Houses of Parliament. In 1851 they exhibited at the Great Exhibition and were represented at all the major exhibitions thereafter.