A Gilt-Bronze Mounted Secrétaire Cabinet With A Marble Top by Maison Vervelle Audot Successeur.
French, Circa 1860.
Signed to the lockplate: ' Mon Vervelle Audot succ Paris / 1 rue Nve Montmorency Feydeau'.
This fine cabinet has a rectangular white marble top above an angular frieze and eight drawers. Each drawer front has fine quarter sawn veneer and boxwood stringing and is centred by elaborate gilt-bronze pieced foliate
The drawer fronts to the second, third and fourth drawers are false and open to reveal a fall front secretaire, with a leather writing surface and a fitted interior with a framed recess, two short drawers and a long drawer. The cabinet has chamfered uprights headed by finely cast gilt-bronze foliate volutes and is raised on a plinth base with a shaped apron.
The firm of Maison Vervelle was established in 1804 by Jean-Francois Vervelle and exhibited at the 1827 and 1844 Expositions and also at the 1855 Paris Exposition Universelle.
They published the Bulletin du magasin des nouveautés in 1830.
In 1856 the company was taken over by Henry Audot and by 1866 was known as H. Audot, Dallongeville, working at 1 rue Neuve-Montmorency in Paris.
The firm was particularly renowned for making small luxury items and d'ébénisterie de goût et de fantasie.
Ledoux-Lebard, Denise. Les ébénistes du XIXe siècle 1795-1889 leurs œuvres et leurs marques, Les Editions de l'Amateur, (Paris), 1965; p.33-34.