A superb English skeleton clock by the eminent Liverpool makers Roskell & Son, with additional work by their contemporaries Litherland, Davies & Co.
The eight-day duration, single-fusee movement has five-spoke crossing-out to the wheelwork, maintaining power and an escapement consisting of a large bi-metallic balance with a blued helical spring and large timing and poising screws, with the dead-beat ‘scape wheel set central to the plates and running the sweep seconds hand, the movement consists of a semi-circular bar to the front and a solid backplate whilst the silvered chapter ring has engraved black Roman numerals and blued-steel qautrefoil hands, all standing on tapered C-scroll-shaped supports. Set to the front is a silvered plaque engraved Roskell & Son, 847, Liverpool, New Balance Resprung & Repaired by Litherland, Davies & Co, 1858.
All standing on an ebonised oval base with glass dome.
Provenance: The Derek Roberts Collection
Robert Roskell was most energetic and enthusiastic chronometer, clock and watch maker who collaborated with Peter Litherland by incorporating the latter’s patented rack lever in his watches. They are recorded as working at 21 - 23, Church Street, Liverpool from 1805 until 1873, as well as 13 - 14 Church Street in at least 1822 and also 31, Church Street in 1839. John Roskell junior is recorded at 21, Church Street. From 1796 the business was known as R. & J. Roskell, becoming Roskell & Son in 1848, although this clock may pre-date this year as the number would suggest a date of manufacture of circa 1840/41.
Litherland, Davies & Co. being Peter Litherland, born 1756 and others, recorded at 47, Brownlow Hill, Liverpool from circa 1816; 22, Church Street from 1822; 74, Church Street from circa 1832; 58, Bold Street from circa 1872; 37, Bold Street from circa 1839 until 1857; 28 Bold Street, circa 1877 as ‘Inventors, patentees and manufacturers of the lever watch’ (Pigot’s & Co. Commercial Directory). They sold many chronometers to the Admiralty, quite probably over twenty examples and in Feb 1817 Richard Litherland took out a patent as used on chronometer no. 4103.