Rosewood Bracket Clock by William Radford, Leeds.
Rosewood lancet top case standing on a raised inlaid base and resting on four brass ball feet. Beautifully formed casework with satinwood line and swag inlay with brass carrying handles to either side and red silk lined fishscale sound frets.
Cast brass bezel opening from the side key to the painted dial signed ‘Radford, Leeds’ with original ‘blued’ steel hands and Roman numerals.
Eight day double chain Fusee movement of fine quality with substantial brass plates united by knopped, turned pillars with border engraving to the backplate ( The holding brackets and pendulum bob both with matching engraving). The movement striking on a large centrally mounted silvered bell and repeating on demand. C.1820
William Radford was born in 1764 the son of Thomas Radford a clock, watchmaker and silversmith (1731-1801) who had a shop in Parish, Leeds. Both of his sons, Thomas and William went into the business ( Thomas died in 1793). William carried on the family business moving to a shop in the Market Place in 1822 and later also keeping a shop at 99, Briggate. There is a record of him attending the Whitkirk Church Sundial ( presumably for repairs) in 1817.
He married Margaret Charlesworth in 1795 having two daughters, Sarah a spinster and Elizabeth who married John Goodman. His first wife died in 1811, his second wife survived him and died in 1845.
William Died in 1826 his will was proved in 1827 valued at £4,000.
Source: ‘Yorkshire Clockmakers’ by Brian Loomes