A pair of exceptional, George III antique silver chambersticks . They are of plain circular form with the lower portion of the bell shaped capitals being embellished with fluted decoration. The removable nozzles have a gadroon border, as do the bases and snuffers.
Each Chamberstick retains the original detachable hallmarked sconces and snuffers. The conical shaped snuffers are surmounted acorn style finials. The Chambersticks are made by one of the finest silversmiths, Paul Storr and would make a wonderful addition to your Georgian antique collection.All the detachable pieces are correctly marked and the wells have a wonderful family crest of an elephant - used by the Elliott and Anderson families amongst others.
Maker: PAUL STORR, LONDON
Origin: Pr Chambersticks
Son of Thomas Storr of Westminster, first silver-chaser later innkeeper, born 1771. Apprenticed c'1785. Before his first partnership with William Frisbee in 1792 he worked at Church Street, Soho, which was the address of Andrew Fogelberg, This is also the address at which Storr's first separate mark is also entered.
First mark entered as plateworker, in partnership with William Frisbee, 2 May 1792. Address: 5 Cock Lane, Snow Hill. Second mark alone, 12 January 1793. Address: 30 Church Street, Soho.
Third mark, 27 April 1793. Fourth 8 August 1794. Moved to 20 Air Street, 8 October 1796, (where Thomas Pitts had worked till 1793). Fifth mark, 29 November 1799. Sixth, 21 August 1807. Address 53 Dean Street, Soho. Seventh, 10 February 1808. Ninth, 21 October 1813. Tenth, 12 September 1817.
Moved to Harrison Street, Gray's Inn Road, 4 March 1819, after severing his connection with Rundell, Bridge and Rundell. Eleventh mark, 2 September 1883. Address: 17 Harrison Street. Twelfth and last mark, 2 September 1833.
Heal records him in partnership with Frisbee and alone at Cock Lane in 1792, and at the other addresses and dates above, except Harrison Street. Storr married in 1801, Elizabeth Susanna Beyer of the Saxon family of piano and organ builders of Compton Street, by whom he had ten children.
He retired in 1838, to live in Hill House in Tooting. He died 18 March 1844 and is buried in Tooting Churchyard. His will, proved 3 April 1844, shows an estate of £3000. A memorial to him in Otely Church, Suffolk was put up by his son Francis the then incumbent of the parish.