A working model of a British Army Field Cannon, polished brass finished in a gold coloured lacquer and with a plaque engraved with the maker's name 'H. Smillie. 89 Cpy. R.G.A Madras'.
English circa 1900.
Overall length 11 inches, cannon barrel length 6.5 inches.
The Royal Garrison Artillery was a sub-branch of the Royal Artillery and was made up of two branches, The Royal Horse Artillery and the Royal Field Artillery being one branch, the Royal Garrison Artillery being the other. Formed in 1899 it was later re-amalgamated into the Royal Artillery in 1924 when the RGA ceased to exist.