This object is eligible for a Certificate of BADA Provenance
About the dealer
About the object
A matched pair of oak side tables attributed to Liberty’s, each of rectangular form with four turned legs and two shelves, the ends enclosed with turned lattice work.
English, circa 1910.
Footnote: Arthur Lazenby Liberty founded the eponymous store in 1875 as an emporium inspired by bazaars in the East and Japanese objets d’art.
In the 1880s he encouraged the development of the Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau movements through English designers, especially Archibald Knox and William Morris. So much so that in Italy, Art Nouveau became known as the Stile Liberty, after the London shop.