Price on application
This object is eligible for a Certificate of BADA Provenance
About the dealer
About the object
Mahogany round dial wall clock, re-painted dial with Roman numerals and original ‘blued’ steel hands signed ‘Thwaites and Reed, 15 Bowling Green Lane, London, E.C.1’.
Eight day chain fusee movement c.1870
Interestingly, the inspection door of this clock retains it’s original paper label issued by Thwaites and Reed stating that the clock was originally sited in the Haymarket branch of Lloyds bank.
The original Thwaites family of clockmakers can be traced back to the early part of the 17th century. In 1808 John Thwaites joined up with George Reed to form ‘Thwaites and Reed’. They soon established themselves as one of the most important clockmaking firms in the country. As well as making clocks for themselves they made movements for some of the most famous names of the day such as Vuillamy, Ellicott, Dutton and Elliott. The firm is still trading today and looks after Big Ben.