The ormolu is marked with the crowned “C” poincon denoting that it was made between 1745 and 1749. All ormolu made between these dates had to be stamped by law.
Henri-Charles Balthazar (Charles, pere l’aine) was a member of a large family of clockmakers. He became a Master in 1717 and worked first in the Place Dauphine and then in the Rue du Roule (1747 – 1772).
He was one of the most respected clock makers of his time and examples of his work can be seen at The Chateau de Fontainebleau, The Wallace collection in London and the Frick collection in New York.