A Fine KPM Porcelain Plaque Depicting a Scene from Shakespeare's Play Othello, After the Painting by Carl Ludwig Friedrich Becker (German, 1820-1900).
German, Circa 1880.
Signed ‘R. Wagner’.
Impressed mark to the reverse ‘KPM’ (Konigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur).
The plaque is very finely painted depicting Othello, the Moor of Venice, relating his adventures before Senator Brabantio and his daughter Desdamona. The figures set within a finely painted Renaissance loggia.
Founded in Berlin in 1750 ‘KPM’ or 'Koenigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur' acquired its name and Royal patronage when the Prussian king, Frederick the Great, purchased the manufactory in 1760.
Its distinguished trademark from then on became the royal blue sceptre, which is stamped (painted prior to 1837) on every piece. All painted pieces produced by KPM are signed by the painter.
The complicated and exacting process of painting on porcelain became very popular in the mid to late nineteenth century. Drawing inspiration from old master portraits and genre scenes, artists were able to achieve incredible images embued with a luminous beauty through the translucent quality of the porcelain.
KPM porcelain represented the height of technical and artistic achievement during this period and large plaques particularly signed examples have become rare and highly sought after.