Georgian Bracket Clock
Mahogany brass bound case standing on a raised stepped plinth and resting on brass bracket feet with silk lined fishscale sound frets surmounted by a break arch with three brass bound pads with central mounted carrying handle.
Silvered dial with Roman numerals, strike / silent feature above the twelve o’clock and subsidiary dial for the calendar signed ‘Geo. Turner, Honiton’.
Fine eight day twin fuse movement with four knopped pillars, striking and repeating at will on a large silvered top mounted bell. The movement retains its original verge escapement with beautifully engraved backplate. C.1810
‘Devon clocks and clockmakers’ by Clifford Ponsford lists George Turner as a watchmaker and clockmaker working in Honiton, born c.1785, he was married to miss J.Lee in December of 1815. There is a gallery clock made by him in St. Pauls Church, Hiniton. He died in February 1869. The register lists him as ‘Clockmaker, Watchmaker and Silversmith’.