A fine quality George III Style satinwood harewood and tulipwood crossbanded bow fronted display bookcase, by J.Hicks of Dublin.
Having moulded cornice and glazed doors with husk and roundel gilt inlaid waist moulding above carved gilt gadrooned edged base, having three crossbanded drawers, flanked by matching husk and roundel inlaid columns.
The bookcase having serpentine sides, the upper section with ribbon bows holding leaf fronds, the lower inlaid with classical urns surmounted by pineapple finials, supported on gilt metal acanthus leaf feet.
Country of Origin: Ireland
James Hicks was born into a family of Dublin chair-makers and was trained in London in the cabinet making workshops on Tottenham Court Road.
On his return to Dublin he set up business in Lower Pembroke Street in 1894 and established what was to become one of the city's leading cabinet-making firms. His clients included Princess Victoria, the Crown Princess of Sweden, and Kind Edward VII.
The firm specialised in high quality copies of pieces in the styles of Sheraton, Hepplewhite, Chippendale styles as well as pieces in the style of the prominent 18th Century Dublin cabinet-maker and marqueteur William Moore.
Hicks described himself as a 'Cabinet Manufacturer, Collector and Restorer of Chippendale, Adam and Sheraton furniture.'
The present cabinet appears to be based on a George III satinwood and marquetry secretaire cabinet attributed to Mayhew and Ince.
Its attribution relies on a repertoire of ornament closely related to documented examples by the firm.