Width 4¾” 12cm
Height 15¾” 40cm
This outstanding and exceedingly rare clock with accompanying candelabra may be confidently attributed to William Parker, who on the 28th March 1781, had patented a particular type of candelabra and notes that “this was a new method for assembling the pedestals or supports for candlesticks, girandoles, chandeliers, candelabrums, lamps, candle shades, eparns, clocks…”
Between 1782-3 he supplied a number of items to the Duke of Devonshire - including a set of four candelabra with this patent base, which remain at Chatsworth, and are recorded in Parker’s bill to the Duke.
It is also probable that the gilt decoration was carried out by James Giles, one of the finest eighteenth century glass and porcelain decorators. Giles fabricated gilt and enamelled objects in the neoclassical style but was supplied with glass by Parker. Giles’ ledgers between 1771 and 1774 show purchases totalling £234.7.8 from Parker’s glass.
The Clock was almost certainly with F. Jones, Tavistock Street, Bedford, 25 March 1931, as an 18th century ormolu clock with cut-glass pendants (£121.12).
Prof. A.E. Richardson, Avenue House, Ampthill, Bedfordshire