Attributed to Giles Grendey
England, circa 1745
An outstanding George II walnut Gainsborough chair attributed to Giles Grendey. The rectangular upholstered backrest flanking a pair of upholstered outswept armrests raised on supports carved with acanthus decoration, above a square seat raised on cabriole legs headed by a rocaille-cartouche surrounding a flower head above carved acanthus brackets, terminating in hairy paw feet on castors.
The rail with a white painted monogram ‘J.B.W.’
Height: 37¾ in (96 cm)
Width: 33 in (84 cm)
Depth: 32½ in (83 cm)
Private Collection, USA
P. Macquoid, A History of English Furniture: The Age of Mahogany, vol. III, 1906, pp. 122-3, figs 104-5.
H. Cescinsky, English Furniture of the Eighteenth Century, vol. II, 1910, p. 86, fig. 82.
H. Cescinsky, ‘The Collection of the Hon. Sir John Ward, KCVO,’ Connoisseur, March 1921, p. 142, fig. 5.
R. W. Symonds, English Furniture from Charles II to George II, 1929, p. 155, fig. 102.
G. Beard and C. Gilbert, The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, 1986, pp. 371-2.
This chair is very similar to a suite of ten armchairs provided to the Hon. George Shirley (1705-1787) at Ettington Park, Warwickshire. The chairs remained at the house until the set was sold in the 1946 house sale.