About the dealer
About the object
England, c. 1880
A Victorian cut glass bowl by F. & C. Osler of exceptional quality, enhanced with gilt bronze mounts retaining the original gilding, the handles designed with two birds having elongated tails finishing at the base, resting on four hairy paw feet, the metalwork stamped twice OSLER.
The Birmingham firm of F. & C. Osler were at the forefront of the luxury goods trade throughout the 19th century, producing some of the most exceptional pieces ever to come from a glassworks. Their most famous commission was to instal a magnificent cut glass fountain at the centre of the transept of the Crystal Palace, erected in Hyde Park for The Great Exhibition of 1851.
This historic project was driven by Prince Albert and opened by Queen Victoria on 1st May. The fountain was turned off so that the audience could hear the Queen's speech.
Osler made a number of ormolu mounted glass objects such as this fine example. They were the only glass manufacturer who designed and produced their own metal-work to a particularly high standard.
Smith, John P., Osler's Crystal for Royalty and Rajahs, 1991.
Signed / Dated