This object is eligible for a Certificate of BADA Provenance
About the dealer
About the object
17th century ebony veneered table cabinet on stand, the raised and hinged top enclosing an open boxwood lined interior above a pair of panel cupboard doors with engraved gilt-metal locks enclosing an architecturally inspired interior of eleven variously sized drawers arranged around a central cupboard with boxwood strung interior and three drawers and three secret compartments, with iron carrying handles to the sides.
Exhibited: The Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry, Glasgow 1911 in The Palace of History, bears paper label inside the top lid with sender’s name (Mrs R.H. Stevnson, Gosford Terrace, Edinburgh) and a brief description of the article.
The entry for Catalogue of Exhibits refers to the Cadell collection of Scott Relics now sent for exhibition by R.H Stevenson. The cabinet was part of group of furniture belonging to Scott that was acquired on behalf of Robert Cadell in a sale of the author’s effects at Castle Street in Edinburgh in 1826. Cadell refers to this cabinet thus; “This writing portfolio belonged to Sir Walter Scott Bart., and was used by him for many years, but more especially in his town house or lodging from 1826 to 1830, when he retired from the Court of Session.”
The entry continues, ‘The present exhibitor, who was alive at the time records that on the occasion of Scott’s visit of February 1831, her mother, Mrs Cadell, pointed out the furniture and that Sir Walter replied that he rejoiced that he had made over any rights he had in them to her.’