Blue Nile Province Brooch
A crane in white and yellow gold set with diamonds standing on a gold plinth inscribed Blue Nile Province. Contained in its original case of Royal Warrant holder Carrington & Co., 130 Regent Street, London.
The Blue Nile Province was an administrative area protected by the Sudan Defence Force and administered by the Sudan Political Service, long regarded as the elite of British African administrations, if not the prize jewel in the imperial service.
It existed between 1899 and 1955 and never numbered more than 150 officers on duty. Between the wars, the Sudan as a ‘Land of Blacks rule by Blues’ was often the first choice of Oxbridge men inclined towards such career.
Reference: Collection of General Sir George James Giffard, G.C.B., D.S.O. (1886-1964).