Stunning antique Ziegler-Mahal carpet in wonderful original pile and condition. Dating from 1880-1890, the pile height is exceptional throughout, with beautiful dyes we associate with Ziegler & Co workshop carpets. Ziegler-Mahal's are called as such, because the Ziegler workshop produced carpets from their own looms with their own designs. Using traditional Persian patterns consisting of small palmettes, floral rosettes and leaves, these were soon commissioned in grand sizes for the Western market and the designs, in particular the palmettes, were blown up to large proportions. Often these Ziegler-Mahals can be considered earlier productions from the workshop, before designs were scaled up and large 5 x 4 metre examples were produced.
In 1883, Ziegler and Co, of Manchester, England established a Persian carpet manufacture in Sultanabad Persia, which employed designers from major western department stores such as B. Altman & Co of New York and Liberty, to modify 16th- and 17th-century Eastern designs for the more restrained western taste. Using highly developed dying techniques, and the best artisans from the region, the Ziegler Co created rugs with beautiful, all-over patterns and with softer palettes than their vibrant Persian counterparts.
Ziegler & co workshop carpets have always been revered and desired by collectors and designers alike. Ziegler rugs developed an almost immediate following in the late 19th Century, especially among early collectors which included the Guinness family, who laid them in Elveden Hall, their Suffolk estate. Ziegler carpets are one of the only types of Persian carpet which were influenced by western designs and have become one of the most sought after carpets in the world today.
- Purchase this antique Ziegler-Mahal carpet online from us and we shall securely courier it to your home, with our excellent anti-slip rug underlay which is included in the price. Or contact us to view it at our barn showroom in Crondall, Surrey.
- If you are not completely satisfied with the carpet we shall of course refund you in full once the rug is returned to us.
- Free Shipping throughout the UK and we use a well-respected International Shipper for Europe and Overseas, as we have shipped carpets to Hong Kong and Australia in the past.
- Members of The British Antique Dealers Association (BADA) and LAPADA since 2008. Adhering to their strict guidelines and our carpets and rugs are independently vetted at their antique and art fairs every year.
- We professionally wash all our carpets and rugs, plus our expert restorer who has over 30 years experience will secure fringes and sides if necessary.
- Request a home visit to view this stunning antique carpet in your own home, let us know a preferred day and time to see you. As we have travelled all over the UK visiting customers, up to Scotland, Ireland and even France and Belgium in Europe over the last 30 years.