An exquisite rare all silk antique Ghiordes rug dating from the late 19th century. Coming from a private collection, it has been well looked after, unfortunately we see some losses at both of the silk fringes, this could be repaired. Or the fringe could be trimmed shorter if preferred, it does not effect the value of the rug. The silk pile is finely cut and excellent throughout the rug, we have minimal discolouration at one end.
Rugs from Ghiordes in the North-West of ancient Anatolia are famous and collectable pieces, early prayer rugs more-often featured decorative corner spandrels, plain or decorated architectural pillars and chandeliers hanging into the main field. The mihrab or prayer niche is the arch-shaped design we see at one end of the rug. We can see all of these classic characteristics on this rare fine silk prayer rug.
Ghiordes prayer rugs are known to be of high quality and can be found dating back to the 1700's, borrowing elements from Ottoman court designs, with fields of red or ivory, they are generally a fine weave and well executed. The pile of prayer rugs from Ghiordes are generally wool or rarely silk such as this beautiful example.
- Purchase this rare antique silk Ghiordes rug online from us and we shall securely courier it to your home, with our excellent anti-slip rug underlay which is included in the price. Or contact us to view it at our barn showroom in Crondall, Surrey.
- If you are not completely satisfied with the carpet we shall of course refund you in full once the rug is returned to us.
- Free Shipping throughout the UK and we use a well-respected International Shipper for Europe and Overseas, as we have shipped carpets to Hong Kong and Australia in the past.
- Members of The British Antique Dealers Association (BADA) and LAPADA since 2008. Adhering to their strict guidelines and our carpets and rugs are independently vetted at their antique and art fairs every year.
- We professionally wash all our carpets and rugs, plus our expert restorer who has over 30 years experience will secure fringes and sides if necessary.
- Request a home visit to view this silk rug in your own home, let us know a preferred day and time to see you. As we have travelled all over the UK visiting customers, up to Scotland, Ireland and even France and Belgium in Europe over the last 30 years.