Abbott and Holder
To provide beautiful and interesting pictures affordable from income was the aim of Robert Abbott and Eric Holder when they started dealing together in 1936. For eighty-five years it has remained Abbott and Holder's policy to stock works of art that are within the means of as broad a section of the population as possible.
The first of our famous ‘Lists’ was issued in 1942 as a way of introducing and publicising new acquisitions. They are now issued monthly, usually in two parts, and introduce 100 works to our large stock of oil paintings, watercolours, drawings and prints from circa 1700-circa 2000.
After World War II, Robert Abbott bought a large house in Castelnau Road that acted as both gallery and his home. The house, now famous in the history of collecting, became a Mecca for enthusiasts. The Partnership remained a family matter with the founder’s nephew, John Abbott, joining Eric Holder from 1971-81. Then in 1984 Philip Athill, who was already an Assistant, became a Partner. Philip and John moved the company to Museum Street in 1987 and added Paper Conservation to the business. On John’s retirement in 2001 we became a Limited Company of which Philip Athill was Managing Director. Tom Edwards joined the company in 2003 having read Art History at the Courtauld Institute. He became a Director in 2012 and since Philip Athill’s retirement is owner and Managing Director.